[SWLUG] Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 16:08

Philip Downer philip.downer at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 17 11:09:53 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 09:45, Fran Thomson wrote:
> I switched on my computer this morning to be greeted with the following
> error:
> "end-requests I/O error, dev 16:08 (hdc), sector 0
> Ext2-fs: Couldn't read superblock on 2nd try
> Kernel Panic: VFS:  Unable to mount root fs on 16:08".

looks like a file system error, try this:

At the LILO prompt type 'linux s' (presuming you've called your boot
image linux) it should hopefully load up some of your system and ask for
the root passwd.

Then try 'fsck -a /dev/hdc' hopefully that should repair any probs with
the file system, then reboot.

Phil