[SWLUG] Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 16:08

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Mon Nov 18 11:07:33 UTC 2002

Hi Fran,
can you see anything on the disk at all ? is it just the one partition of many that fails ?
have you lost the partition table on that disc (can you check) ? is the bios seeing the disc correctly ?  did you try pointing fsck at specific partitions eg /dev/hda8 etc...   (just a few thoughts.  i'm not good at these things!)

Hi All,
BTW, does anyone out there know of any web sites that have good help on this sort of stuff ?,  I am currently stuck with one of my hard discs that I'm failing to mount on a new pc, (i just want to mount the disc and copy a load of stuff on to the main (working) hard drive, but even though it's worked ok in the past and is connected up ok as far as the bios is concerned, and is seen as /dev/hdb according to the kernel at boot time, i can't mount any of the partitions (i know which ones are which). Also I can't  even see the partition table by doing a fdisk -l /dev/hdb  ??   should I be able to ??   the only thing I can think of is to  double double check  the jumper on the disc itself (slave).   do the master and slave on a single IDE (80 pin) cable need to  be in a certain order ? the master is on the end and the slave is in the middle at the moment.

Gareth.

>>> "Fran Thomson" <fran_flakes at hotmail.com> 17/11/2002 12:56:37 >>>
Hiya,

>looks like a file system error, try this:
>
>At the LILO prompt type 'linux s' (presuming you've called your boot
>image linux) it should hopefully load up some of your system and ask for
>the root passwd.

I tried this, but it still gets no further.  I've also tried booting from the Redhat rescue disk but it fails to even see the linux partition.

Thanks.

Fran.

SWLUG Discussion List - Discuss at swlug.org.uk