[SWLUG] My Trials and Tribulations....

Lyn David Thomas lyn at cibwr.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 22:32:38 UTC 2002

Well as promised (or threatened depending on your point of view) a
brief account of my brief excursions in the world of linux (TM), and
a plea for some help.

My home machine is a fairly ancient low end pentium, originally a
P75, now with a 133MHz CPU, a spare 2 Gig Hard Drive and 96MB
RAM, a S3 Vision 968 pci 2MB graphics card.

I have experimented with a number of different distributions, all have
their plus points, and some minus points.

Included in my experiments have been, Mandrake (8.1, 8.2), Red
Hat (7.3), Vector Linux (2, 2.5), Lycoris (Redmond Linux), Best
Linux 2000 R3.

With Mandrake 8.2 and Red Hat 7.3 I have been unable to get X
Windows up and running, 8.1 takes for ever to load (around 15
minutes), even when using a minimal window manager.  Lycoris
has a nasty bug that causes the system to lock up totally at some
undetermined point when reading data from a CD (be it a Data CD
or a Music CD).  Best Linux is a rather old distribution and come
with a very old version of KDE.

With the limited capabilities of my current machine I think I am
best with a limited distribution - limited in the size of the packages
to be installed and limited in terms of window managers, something
light would seem to be called for.  Lycoris was quite good in that,
its start up time seemed quite short in comparison with Mandrake,
something I think to do with its heavily customised version of KDE -
though it really does better on a machine that has at least a
400MHz processor.

I quite liked Vector Linux, a very economical Slackware based
distribution.  Unlike most of the others it recognises my SB16 ISA
sound card every time.  My main problem with it (other than
working out how to install packages - but that is another problem)
is setting up access to the internet, I add what I think are the
correct details, it recognises my modem, dials and then after a
period terminates the connection.  Any ideas of what I should do to
sort this out?  I suspect you need lots more information if you are
going to help me out....

Of course I could just go and spend a fair chunk of money (which I
will do eventually) and get a better computer.  I have installed other
distributions on higher spec machines with few problems.

--
\/ Lyn David Thomas
Web Pages start at: