[SWLUG] Incorporating accents in emails.

Dick Porter dick at acm.org
Wed Sep 11 16:52:29 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 11:49, Neil Jones wrote:

> I use Kmail. I am on a lot of lists. Some of them are do not use english as
> the language of communication.
>
> This question is a simple one but I don't know the answer.
> How to I type accented letters?
>
> At the moment my problem is with French.

The easiest way is to use the dead keys on the keyboard.  I type "éêè"
by pressing alt-gr+; then e, alt-gr+' then e, alt+gr+# then e.  (The
observant will notice that ;'# are in a line)

Additionally, for other foreign letters, you have ö and õ on [ and ], å
on shift+[,

Þ and þ are not dead keys, but alt-gr+p and shift+alt-gr+p, Ø and ø
ditto on o, ß on s, Ð and ð on d, ¡ on shift+alt-gr+1, ¿ on
shift+alt-gr+-.

- Dick