[SWLUG] nfs --soft option

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Sep 16 11:26:42 UTC 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 11:30:01AM +0100 or thereabouts, bascule wrote:
> is the 'soft' option what i need to mount an nfs volume when both the
> mounting or serving machine may be turned off without having to manually
> unmount etc. ?

I've had trouble when mounting an nfs filesystem because the server
was being annoying and kept dying. I was only ever reading data,
not writing it (it was the ogg-server). The options I was told
to play about with were soft and intr, and I seem to recall
something about having to be careful when mounting read-only.
Since I never wrote to that filesystem anyway, it was less of an
issue, so I forget -why- I had to be careful :)

Telsa