[SWLUG] re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #224 - 4 msgs

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 15:37:55 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 16:12, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Better venues. Hmm. I'd suggest a different approach if we need a better
> venu. Do we absolutely have to use stinky places like pubs? I'd suggest (if
> it must be 7pm and not earlier) that we use the 24 hour cafe by the railway
> station or perhaps Costa (but earlier in the day). Ideally, I'd say a
> Saturday afternoon meeting would be best. The idea of meeting in the
> university is very appealing. The Junior Common Room bar has a quiet side.

We certainly don't have to stick to pubs - the place where we meet in
Cardiff is a coffee shop. One of the requirements (as I see it at least)
is that people can get some sort of food/refreshments there. Other than
that though, so long as we can hear each other talking and we're
relatively comfortable (plus people can get to/from it relatively
easily), I don't see why we can't move the venue.

I can see making the meeting time as being contentious though - it takes
me just over an hour to get to Swansea from where I work - make the
meeting start too early and people simply won't be able to get there for
the start. Personally I think 7pm is just about right - things are
normally drawing to a close quite nicely on their own accord by
kicking-out time.

> I'd say that places to avoid at night are: Oystermouth Road, Wind Street,
> High-Street, The Kingsway, the Uplands and the area around the bus and
> railway station.

Where do you suggest? I think most people are happy to go somewhere else
if we can find somewhere that matches what we've got already and
surpasses it, either by allowing <18s or whatever. Is there anywhere you
can think of we could go assuming we stick to our current times/dates?

> My difficulty is late-night transport between my pad and Swansea. I rely
> solely upon busses - which aren't frequent or dependable in the evenings.

Depending on where your pad is, quite a few people drive, so may be able
to give you a lift to/from the venue. If it's in the general direction
of the Heads of the Valleys road, I can give you a lift in, if it's in
the general direction of Cardiff, I can give you a lift back :)

Gareth