[SWLUG] re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #224 - 4 msgs

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 15:48:32 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 16:12, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Better venues. Hmm. I'd suggest a different approach if we need a better
> venu. Do we absolutely have to use stinky places like pubs? I'd suggest (if
> it must be 7pm and not earlier) that we use the 24 hour cafe by the railway
> station or perhaps Costa (but earlier in the day). Ideally, I'd say a
> Saturday afternoon meeting would be best. The idea of meeting in the
> university is very appealing.

Its 7pm because many people have jobs and cant reasonably make it any
earlier, especially on the days when we have to travel to the venue.

Its weekdays only, as people are a lot more likely to have other
commitments on a weekend day. and the days cycle to avoid the chance of
someone always having a commitment on the same day.

Pubs are often used as they are large public venues, that arent going to
complain when a crowd of a dozen or two people turn up and hang around
for hours on end (about 4). They also have things to drink, and food to
eat (not escential, but many people do like to eat)

> The Junior Common Room bar has a quiet side.
Thats even worse as a stinky pub, i know, i work on campus.
Its either going to be closed when the students are gone, or full of
noisy drunken idiots^W students.

We did meet in the pub on the pond a couple of times, but getting a seat
together wasnt always possible, and some complained of the distance from
the train station.

> I'd say that places to avoid at night are: Oystermouth Road, Wind Street,
> High-Street, The Kingsway, the Uplands and the area around the bus and
> railway station.
No need to avoid any of those areas, on a Mon/Tue/Wed night when we have
our meetings they are all pretty much quiet. Would only need to avoid
them if we did something silly like meet on a fri/dat night.

The ideal location would be a late night cafe / coffee house, like the
one in cardiff, but weve yet to find one.