[SWLUG] Re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #227 - 1 msg

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Mon Apr 7 23:24:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 22:32, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Has anybody used any version of Linux sucesfully as a server? SME
> Linux is giving me so much grief I'm seriously considering chucking
> the whole idea of Linux and going over to an NT network.

I've used Linux very successfully as a server at ISP level. No problems
at all, and far more stable than NT.

It really depends on what you're trying to serve, though. If you're
after a web server, it's pretty easy. If you're after a file server,
it's trickier, but the results are very good, whether you use Samba or
Apache/DAV (Webfolders on any Windows clients). Email is incredibly well
served, but full blown groupware suffers primarily from the closed
standards that Outlook/Exchange uses. If you're not after shared
calendaring, though, then Cyrus is your friend.

However, I have to confess to never having heard of "SME Linux". Might I
suggest either RedHat or Debian? Both are extremely well used, and
extremely good.

Dave.