[SWLUG] Linux Awareness Day - Saturday 17th May

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Tue Apr 8 23:01:18 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 23:36, bascule wrote:
> i've been looking at waivers for folk to sign, how do people feel about a
> version of the following:
> http://www.vlug.org/ifht/waiver.html

That seems quite good, I think that it should cover us on legal ground.
Does the Free Software Foundation offer legal aid for this type of thing
or is it just for if your Free project gets into trouble? I'm just
thinking that we could get their angle on this form.

> plus if folk bring their hardware will it be easy to transport to the room and
> easy/secure to store while waiting for an install?

I'm not entirely sure, Richard is there a secure/close by car park for
the county hall?

> what about the scenario where too many people turn up for an install? take
> names and numbers as people arrive to facilitate 'first come first served'?
> it would be good to agree beforehand on the max numbers of installs to commit
> to (based on volunteers there) even if folk leave with their hardware,
> i realise that this might seem like negative comments but think how optimistic
> i'm being about interest!

I think we will need to have some sort of queing system and perhaps it
will be an idea to put a note on any posters/flyers stating that it's a
first come first serve basis for installs.

> oh and i'll definitely be there :)
> (yet to confirm helping to set up night before - will we be doing that?)

I don't think so, but we might be able to sort something out although we
don't have any time booked in the room on Friday.

> i will have one of my winxp boxes with a half empty hard drive to demonstrate
> a dual boot install/winxp comparison, this has a cdburner in, plus i have 15
> inch monitor, i will need transport though as i am currently without a car
> and my cycling rucksac isn't up to the job! i also have spare 4 port hub, a
> few cast off lengths of cat5,

That'd be good, whereabouts do you live? I could possibly do a run
around the cardiff area picking people up.

> can i suggest that at least somewhere we acknowledge that linux is short for
> gnu/linux just to forestall that whole 'linux is just a kernel' thing :)

Ok will do.

I'm also wondering wether or not we will need to sort out some kind of
insurance, does anyone know anything insurance for this type of event?

Phil.