[SWLUG] server Linux

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 09:10:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 19:49, Rhys Sage wrote:

> SME is allegedly based on Red Hat 7.2 so it's supposed to
> auto-configure itself to my network card. Sadly, it doesn't seem to
> know this. When I bring up Network Neighbourhood, the drive lights on
> the server come on but the server doesn't show up in Network
> Neighbourhood.

One thing to note - there's a distinction between having working
networking and getting the computer to appear in Network Neighbourhood
under Windows. If the networking's working, then you should be able to
ping the server. To test this, from a Windows machine, open a command
prompt and type in "ping ip-address" e.g.

ping 192.168.0.1

If it comes back saying the connection timed out, then it's a real
networking problem. If however it comes back showing responses, then the
problem is with the software that talks to Windows, a piece of software
called Samba. SME may have a nice GUI to change the settings - if so,
make sure that the settings look "right" and match what you have on your
Windows machine.

If the ping worked, then another thing to try is to connect directly to
the machine - from the Start->Run dialogue box, just type in
"\\ip-address" e.g.

\\192.168.0.1

If you connect to the machine, great. If not, do the Samba logs show
anything (see below)?

Also, which version(s) of Windows are you trying to get to connect to
your server? Microsoft have changed the SMB protocol a fair few times -
it could be that your server isn't set up to receive encrypted passwords
whereas Windows is sending encrypted passwords, or vice versa. Or indeed
it could be one of several things.

I don't use Samba much so I can't help a huge amount, but I'm sure if
you can isolate the problem a bit more, then there'll be someone on this
list who can help more than me :)

Other places to look for help:

/etc/samba/smb.conf  << this is Samba's config file
/var/log/samba/*     << Samba's log files - is there anything obvious
                        in there?
man smb.conf         << Manual page for the Samba configuration file.

> Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet experience

Is there any chance of turning HTML e-mail off when you send to this
list please? Thanks.

Gareth
--
| Gareth Bowker           | <bowkerg at teccon.co.uk> |