[SWLUG] networking nightmare

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 08:38:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 20:10, Rhys Sage wrote:
> >Summing up, to make sure I've got this right, through RJ45, it fails,
> >both trying to get to/from Linux *and* between Windows PCs? Via BNC,
> >Windows can see Windows, but Linux can see neither and Windows can't
> >see
> >Linux?
>
> Not quite. I've not looked for Windows from Linux. Not much need to. The
> Linux box will be a monitorless server only. If I can get Windows 98 to see
> Windows NT via RJ45, that'll be a good thing.

To be honest, this sounds like the problem could well be down to Windows
not having the right network settings. If they can't see each other via
RJ45, that's got nothing to do with the Linux side of things...

> >If that's the case, stick with BNC for the time being :)
>
> I would but... the PCI card on my Linux box doesn't have a BNC connector. If
> it had then I wouldn't have spent fifty quid on the RJ45 cables and hub.

Digging around last night I found a spare PCI network card with both BNC
and RJ45 on it. I've no idea if it works but I'll check over the weekend
and you're welcome to it (maybe in exchange for a drink ;) if it works.

> >You said Windows tried to get a DUN connection when you tried to ping
> >your linux machine. This suggests Windows doesn't know how to
> >communicate with the Linux machine.
>
> With a ping via RJ45, I get 100% loss. I suspect something's not set quite
> right on my laptop or my PC. I'll try to bring my laptop to the next meet.
> Just checking - it is the Goose in Swansea on the 17th at 7pm?

Where: Swansea, The Goose,
When: Wednesday 16-04-2003 7pm

> >What are your IP addresses set to, both on the Linux machine and the
> >Windows machines? You can get these values via:
> >Linux: /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route
> >Windows: it's either "ipconfig" or "ifconfig", I don't remember (or
> >just
> >use the network settings GUI) and "route print" to get the routing
> >table.
>
> Here's a paste of winipconfig and the settings from SME Linux.

<snip>

>                   1 Ethernet adapter :
>
>                   Description . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink PCI
>                   Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-50-04-36-AB-00
>                   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
>                   IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 169.254.72.239

Try setting this IP address manually (see below for ideas as to what to
set it to)

>                   From the Configuration window

<snip>

Where did the data from the Configuration Window come from? Was that the
Linux machine? What about the other Windows machine you have? It's just
the IP addresses assigned to each + subnets I need to know.

> >I'm guessing your windows machines haven't been given IP addresses for
> >your network cards - they only use TCP/IP for their internet (modem)
> >connection. This would explain why windows can see windows yet the
> >linux box is unpingable.
>
> No. I haven't set any I/P addresses. I can't ping the Linux box when I'm
> using BNC because BNC connects solely Aphrodite to Persius. Zeus needs RJ45
> and as I gather RJ45 and BNC don't mix, it's a case of either Persius being
> connected to Aphrodite via BNC or Persius, Zeus and Aphrodite being
> connected by RJ45 to the hub.

Ping goes over IP. Make sure your windows machines all have IP
addresses.

> >Let us know how you get on :)
>
> Somebody said that the problem might be in Network Neighbourhood in the
> configuration panel. Any ideas exactly what I should have there? At the
> moment, I have:
> Client for Microsoft Networks
> Client for NetWare Networks
> 3com etherlink pci combo nic (3c900b-combo)
> dial-up adaptor
> ipx/spx-compatible protocol -> 3com etherlink pci combo nic (3c900b-combo)
> ipx/spx-compatible protocol -> dial-up adaptor
> netbeui -> 3com etherlink pci combo nic (3c900b-combo)
> netbeui -> dial-up adaptor
> tcp/ip dial-up adaptor
> file & printer sharing for microsoft networks

Yup. You'll need to add TCP/IP to the 3com etherlink card.

First thing is to get the Windows machines being able to see each other
via the hub. Don't even connect the linux machine to the hub for the
time being, just to be entirely certain it's not doing anything. If you
can't get that to work, it doesn't matter what OS you put on Zeus, the
Windows machines still won't be able to see it.

Things to check:

If the Windows network card drivers let you set whether to use BNC or
RJ45 or Auto, set them manually to RJ45.

Give both windows machines IP addresses. If you've not set any IP
addresses before now, you could try:

Windows Machine 1: 192.168.40.10
Windows Machine 2: 192.168.40.11
Linux Machine:     192.168.40.12

Subnet for all machines: 255.255.255.0

Once this is set up, from any machine's command prompt, you should be
able to type:

ping 192.168.40.10 (or 11, or 12)

and get replies from the other machines.

As I said though, I suspect it's a Windows problem right now, in that
it's not communicating over the RJ45 connection.

Gareth
--
| Gareth Bowker           | <bowkerg at teccon.co.uk> |
| Software Engineer       | http://www.thetcl.com/ |