[SWLUG] Latest on the connection saga

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 18:52:37 UTC 2003

It appears that my 3com combo card will automatically recognise either BNC or RJ45 (whichever is inserted).  My NT laptop however, needs a new PCMCIA Ethernet card. I can't get the configuration software to work at all. It keeps demanding (under NT) that I change memory management to mm386 (whatever that is) or when I boot under DOS from a dos disk, the program just hangs (I'd call 5 minutes waiting, a hung program). As far as the Linux box is concerned, the Ethernet card says "Linux" on the box but doesn't have a Linux driver on the CD. A download from the site actually had Linux instructions:    1. Check the driver file "/lib/modules/2.2.XX/net/rtl8139.o".
      Where the XX is the version number of the latest kernel.   2. Add "alias eth0 rtl8139" into the /etc/conf.modules file.      cd /etc
      vi conf.modules
         alias eth0 rtl8139   3. Run the following commands at the LINUX prompt.      modprobe rtl8139      ifconfig eth0 192.74.53.10   4. Now, you can run 'ifconfig' or 'netstat -i' to see if there is a
      interface 'eth0'. But... I don't have anything called vi. Rhys