[SWLUG] SME replacement

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 20:47:05 UTC 2003

It looks very much as though SME Linux isn't much good for what I need. It's supposedly designed for servers but doesn't support my RAID card and doesn't even support my ethernet card (hence the problems I've been having). My ethernet card states clearly "Linux". The instructions refer to Red Hat Linux and SME is supposed to be based on Red Hat. The prrof of the pudding being the eating, I couldn't find rtl8139 via modprobe or in etc/conf.modules (where it's supposed to be).
Anybody got a spare CD of Red Hat they can bring along to the meet on Wednesday?
I checked my Ethernet. Persius is fine (it auto-configures) but Aphrodite needs a new PCMCIA Ethernet card unless somebody brings a Windows 95/98 laptop and will allow me to configure the card on it.
Rhys