[SWLUG] SME replacement

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Apr 13 22:16:58 UTC 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 09:47:05PM +0100 or thereabouts, Rhys Sage wrote:

> It looks very much as though SME Linux isn't much good for what I need.
> It's supposedly designed for servers but doesn't support my RAID card
> and doesn't even support my ethernet card (hence the problems I've been

I had to ask on IRC what SME Linux is. I agree. It doesn't sound
what you want. For a start, no-one here runs it, so we're all
guessing when it comes to what's actually on it.

> having). My ethernet card states clearly "Linux". The instructions

What is the card again?

> refer to Red Hat Linux and SME is supposed to be based on Red Hat.
> The prrof of the pudding being the eating, I couldn't find rtl8139
> via modprobe or in etc/conf.modules (where it's supposed to be).

I have asked about this too. The rtl8139 driver is very old
There are newer and better drivers for the same card(s?) that
driver covered. RH apparently doesn't even ship this rtl8139
thing. It ships the newer driver.

> Anybody got a spare CD of Red Hat they can bring along to the
> meet on Wednesday?

Oodles. Before I do, however, let's just check something. The
more seamless the install has grown, the more RAM the installer
has wanted. What is the RAM in your Linux box? (I'm thinking we
should check it will do the graphical install: if it won't,
then we can bring an older version of RH and updates, and you
can use up2date later: that seems to need less RAM.)

I am quite sure some of the Debian people will offer to bring
Debian CDs if your box won't like RH.

> I checked my Ethernet. Persius is fine (it auto-configures)
> but Aphrodite needs a new PCMCIA Ethernet card unless somebody
> brings a Windows 95/98 laptop and will allow me to configure
> the card on it.

Someone else will have to do that. I have a laptop, but it's
not Windows :)

Telsa