[SWLUG] Re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #236 - 8 msgs

vlado vlado at dikini.net
Wed Apr 16 10:06:04 UTC 2003

>From the descriptions of persius, I can only guess that it is connected
to the internal(home) network through eth. adapter 1 - the 3com one. As
Rob suggested, switch on the DHCP and try to check if you have actual
connection. There was a lot of talk about it in this thread, so I'm not
going to repeat it.

on zeus check if your samba is configured and running. then switch on
the windows networking on persius. Can they see each other?

> I ain't a clue what most of the above means apart from I/P numbers are
> the computer's 8-digit hex address. I don't know what DHCP is and I
> don't know what a subnet mask does.
Well DHCP is a magic way (protocol) to automatically assign ip
addresses. The DHCP daemon - the sage doing the magic. The subnet mask
is a fancy way of partitioning the address space, i.e finding out what
addresses are possible in a network. In  the case of zeus it is on a
network spanning from 192.168.40.0 to 192.168.40.255.

Regards,
Vlado