[SWLUG] Re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #236 - 8 msgs

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 10:14:24 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 11:06, vlado wrote:
> >From the descriptions of persius, I can only guess that it is connected
> to the internal(home) network through eth. adapter 1 - the 3com one. As
> Rob suggested, switch on the DHCP and try to check if you have actual
> connection. There was a lot of talk about it in this thread, so I'm not
> going to repeat it.

>From what I've gathered from my conversations with Rhys, both on- and
off-list, DHCP is on, hence the 169.254.* address - IANA have this
assigned for machines without a DHCP lease as I recall. The first
problem seems to be that the Windows machines can't see each other when
connected via UTP - i.e. it's not a Linux problem. There may well be a
Linux problem, but we won't know that until there's a working Windows
machine to test it against =)

Rhys Sage wrote:
> I ain't a clue what most of the above means apart from I/P numbers are
> the computer's 8-digit hex address. I don't know what DHCP is and I
> don't know what a subnet mask does.

I can run through some basic networking stuff with Rhys this evening if
he's interested.

Gareth
--
| Gareth Bowker           | <bowkerg at teccon.co.uk> |