[SWLUG] just wittering

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 18:04:23 UTC 2003

>I assume that FAT seen by windows is the old fat16 format, which is
>what
>Linux usually defines as msdos. So the question is how do I get
>Mandrake/Linux to recognise it??

I understand that the FAT of SD cards varies according to the camera
manufacturer. I, have used Smart Media and Compact Flash. Generally, it
doesn't seem to make much difference whether they're formatted as FAT 16 or
FAT 32. Both versions seem to work. I would rather expect that since memory
cards are available in sizes of 1 gigabyte and greater that at least FAT 32
is used or possibly NTFS.

>Persius was my favourite God in Populous II

What's Populous 2? Is it like Civilisation?

Well, I managed to get a nice parallel/seriel modem for a fiver. Opened it
up with a judiciously applied screwdriver and discovered a Mexican Rockwell
chipset. Breathed a sigh of relief to find a familiar chipset and then
cowered behind the sofa in abject terror as a label became apparent on the
underside that it needed a 9v AC PSU. Of course - Tom Whitehouse didn't have
any and probably won't until next week. I had a quick look inside to see if
I could isolate the bridge rectifier but got completely lost because it's
one of those horrible double-sided circuit boards. I ain't a clue who made
it. All it says on the box is 56000 data/fax/modem in green letters.

When's the next Swansea meet?

Yours,

Rhys