[SWLUG] BMP to JPG

Julian Hall linux at kaotic.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 10:58:42 UTC 2003

Hi All,

I'm new to the group (and to Linux :)).  Recently installed Mandrake 9.0
alongside Windows 2000 and it's all going OK at last.  Wine is being a
bit of a sod, but that's doesn't work too well alongside Windows 200
anyway apparently :)

I have a couple of questions though I hope you can answer:

1.  With option 2 quoted below, could you use a wildcard, for example:

cjpeg *.bmp > *.jpg

Thereby converting a whole directory of files in one sweep?

2.  DVD playback.  I've had all kinds of aggravation getting Xine to
play DVDs (it did when I installed MDK 9.0 originally without
complaint!) and eventually switched to Ogle.  However the audio is a bit
scratchy and in Windows that's usually attributable to the DVD drive
being in PIO mode not DMA.

How do I check this in Linux, and alter if necessary?

Kind regards,

Julian