[SWLUG] non ascii characters etc.

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Tue Aug 12 10:37:14 UTC 2003

Hi Neil, All,

unfortunately I tried alt-244 and I get this ¶  which to me (in Novell GroupWise 5.5 on NT4) is a typesetting sign - I think its the new line sign ? its character 182 on the chart you sent me.  character number 182 gives me an  so it looks like the character set is all to pot, or NT is just different.

I got the o plus hat from a cut and paste from a web page I have now bookmarked.

 What I haven't found yet  is a w with a hat.   anyone help ?

is it that 'multi language e-mail' probably only works well with full mime info as to character sets ? do mime codes give you this ?  it seems unfortunate if I have to try and guess/remember what mail reader the recipient may have.  not that I have control over this from work.

cheers,

Gareth.

>>> "Carter N." <N.Carter at Swansea.ac.uk> 12 August 2003 11:23:05 >>>
Hi Gareth,

Windows uses the ANSI character set, I've attached some tables showing all
the ANSI characters and codes.

In Outlook XP, your o with a circumflex (the hat or caret) showed up fine.
You can obtain this character using Alt + 244 (numeric-keypad ) like this: ô

HTH.

Neil
Neil Carter            Psychology Department
IT Technician    University of Wales Swansea
                       Wales, United Kingdom

http://psy.swansea.ac.uk/staff/Carter/