[SWLUG] Detecting ISA devices

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 18:44:35 UTC 2003

On 16:56 Mon 01 Dec     , Tim Shapcott wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if there is a simple way of detecting any ISA devices in
> a machine, similar to lspci? If not, does anyone know of a program that
> does probe the ISA bus, that I could borrow some code from? I am not
> particularly C-literate and I only have a short time in which to complete
> my project, so unfortunately learning C to such a degree that I could do
> this myself is not an option otherwise I would definitely do this!
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

Wouldn't this be handled (for pnp devices) by the isapnp parts of the kernel
in concert with isapnptools (http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/)?

pnpdump(8) from that package might be just what you want.

The document /usr/src/linux/Documentation/isapnp.txt may help, especially the
function isapnp_probe_cards() - I don't know anything about the use of this
tho so you'll have to do some digging yourself.

I was under the impression that non-pnp isa devices needed to be configured
manually - there's no (reliable) probing mechanism for isa? I could well be
wrong on that though...

Cheers

Bryn