[SWLUG] Which distribution?

Carter N. N.Carter at Swansea.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 15:47:57 UTC 2003

Hi All,

I'm considering upgrading my distribution, and thought I'd invite people to
recommend/decry the distributions (I bet this is a perennial topic!).

I started with SUSE (allegedly easy to install), but had terrible problems
with Yast, which handled my newer-than-it video card badly when configuring
X. However, once I got X running, I liked the distro. Sadly, SUSE is not
available for download, and has been criticised for having some 'anti-Open'
policies.

I then had Mandrake 7.0 with a book that used it for source-hacking
tutorials. I currently use 8.2. I'm happy with this, but hear Mandrake are
in financial difficulties.

I also noticed a few pro-Debian messages on this list lately.

Would anyone care to suggest their favourite distro, and the reasons for
their favour?

Many thanks,
Neil
Neil Carter            Psychology Department
IT Technician    University of Wales Swansea
                       Wales, United Kingdom

http://psy.swansea.ac.uk/staff/Carter/