[SWLUG] can i boot win98 on a slave ide drive from lilo ?

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 17:37:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 17:14, Gareth Lewis wrote:
> OK, so it's not strictliy linux, but, lilo won't boot win 98.
> the windows boot loader is on the mbr of the drive - but its the slave drive - does this stop it working ? windows does boot ok as master from this disc.  I point lilo at /dev/hdb and nothing happens.
> ta,

At a guess, try pointing it at hdb1.

I seem to recall windwos has a simple bootloader which just passes
everything onto partition's bootloader.

Thinking about it though, I've got a feeling windows isn't happy if it's
not on the first hard disk. There's a way of telling lilo to mess around
with the drive order to make windows think it's one the first disk, but
I don't know how to do this.

All a guess, however,

Gareth