[SWLUG] KDE, Mandrake 8.2, adding shortcuts to shell scripts

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Fri Jan 3 19:09:20 UTC 2003

Dear All

Whist as a user and not root, I have been trying to add directories and
shortcuts to my KDE menu.  So far I have managed to add RealPlayer to
the WWW directory using MenuDrake and it works fine.

However making shortcuts to shell files appears to be a diferent story.
So far I have not manged this.

I have on the desktop a number of links to shell files that reside in:
   /home/stephanos/.AVP.
They all work fine as desktop links to shell scripts.
One of these shell files is /home/stephanos/.AVP/updater.sh, a web
updater for the Kaspersky antivirus programme.
The content of which is reproduced below:
  #!/bin/sh
  clear # Clear the screen at the start, a little more elegant.
  #
  # updates.sh

  echo
  echo "       Kaspersky Anti Virus"
  echo
  echo "  Are you ready to update the scanner ?"
  echo "  Press Enter to continue"
  read

  cd /opt/AVP/
   ./kavupdater -uik=http://updates2.kaspersky-labs.com/updates

  echo
  echo "  You have updated the scanner"
  echo "  Press Enter to close terminal"
  read
  # end of script

The shell file (updater.sh) has the following permissions:
         R    W    E    Special
user     x    x    x               Set UID
Group    x    x                    Set GID
Other    x                         Sticky

In case it is relevent I have reproduced the permissions of the Desktop
link to this shell file:
Permissions:
         R    W    E    Special
user     x    x                    Set UID
Group                              Set GID
Other                              Sticky

It might be relevent to point out that all these shell files have an
asterix at the end.
  [stephanos at Laptop .AVP]$ ls
  AvpUnix.ini  cdrom.sh*  floppy.sh*  hard.sh*  updates2.exe*
  updates.sh*  win.sh*
  [stephanos at Laptop .AVP]$[stephanos at Laptop .AVP]$ ls

When working at the command line from within the directory, I can run a
shell script by prefixing it with "./"
  [stephanos at Laptop .AVP]$  ./updater.sh    - this works OK

If I move to another directory and try to run a shell script it does
not work.
  [stephanos at Laptop stephanos]$ /.AVP/updater.sh
  bash: /.AVP/updater.sh: No such file or directory
  [stephanos at Laptop stephanos]$

MenuDrake ask me to put a command into the Command box/Window so I entered
  "/home/stephanos/.AVP/updater.sh"
This does not work, not does "./updater.sh"

I am not sure why all these desktop links should work but not a link from the KDE Menu.

I have studied the Installation & User Guide for 8.2 at the Mandrake Linux website.  This does explain how to make a desktop link to an
application in KDE (which I have done) but nothing about running
shell scripts.

So is there something I am missing ?

Any help appreciated

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)

P.S, I have managed to resolve many of the CUPS printing problems in Open Office.  Thanks to Justin who pointed me in the direction of installing the driver package.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Meet Singles
http://corp.mail.com/lavalife