[SWLUG] Linux Install Day

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Mon Jan 13 21:12:36 UTC 2003

I thought that I'd try and get the ball rolling with a few events so...

Linux Install Day 2003, the website that was the central organisation
point for the LID 2002 currently appears to be down. However when I last
looked no dates had been set for 2003, but the 2002 event was held
through the months of May/June.

It seems to me that last year LUGs across the UK just picked a
convenient day during the period listed and advertised it. I think there
may also have been sponsorship from Mandrake/Suse.

In my opinion we have a few problems to solve if we decide to join in
with the other LUGs in staging this event.

1. Where to hold the event, i.e. Cardiff, Swansea or somewhere else and
which venue?

2. When to hold it? I think that it would probably be best to run it on
a weekend, possibly a Sunday.

3. What exactly we will demonstrate? I'm sure there are quite a few of
us that can bring machines along to demo but should we be offering to
install Linux on visitors machines?

The main reason that I am mentioning this so early is that I think we
need to decide on a venue asap rather than leaving it too late.

Is anybody else interested in helping to run this event?

Phil