[SWLUG] how can i control an RPM ?

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Fri Jan 24 10:26:39 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've got two distros on one disk and I've got problems again.

I've got a kernel RPM which aparently will install 5-6 files in /boot and add a new option to lilo, which must mean changing lilo.conf and runing lilo to install lilo on the MBR of the disc.

since the kernel is different, but its probably a binary file,  I assume that the above is all that will happen.

SO, (A)   how do i check what the RPM install will do ?
      (B)  how do I just install the binary files without rejiging lilo & the MBR ?

or will I have to risk lilo trashing my mbr and boot from floppy to rebuild it ? will I also need to make a copy of the partition table ?

my problem is that I use lilo on the first distro and I'm tweaking the kernel on the second one which looks like it will break lilo from the first one.

hope some one can point me in the right direction.

cheers,

Gareth