[SWLUG] how can i control an RPM ?

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 10:36:19 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 10:26, Gareth Lewis wrote:

> since the kernel is different, but its probably a binary file,  I assume that the above is all that will happen.
>
> SO, (A)   how do i check what the RPM install will do ?
rpm -ql -p kernel-blah.rpm
  will list the files the rpm contains

rpm -q --scripts -p kernel-blah.rpm
  will list what scripts it will run, any 'postinstall scriptlet' is the
most relevant.

>       (B)  how do I just install the binary files without rejiging lilo & the MBR ?
in my experience, it never did update lilo, i always had to fix it by
hand, which was a pest if you forgot and rebooted.
i much prefer grub exactly because it does automatically update it.

rpm -Uvh --noscripts kernel-blah.rpm
  should install the kernel without running any of the installation
scripts