[SWLUG] Linux Install/Awareness Day

Lyn David Thomas lyn at cibwr.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 10:19:29 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 10:33, Philip Downer wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> After discussions at the meeting on Wednesday I have an update of what
> is currently planned.
>
> We have been offered a room at Cardiff County Hall, this is very good
> but we need to provide dates and what size of a room we need asap.
>
> The other LUGs have been discussing when to hold a National Linux
> Install Day but there are no dates as yet. They also seem to prefer
the
> name of Linux Awareness Day as last year they seemed to run some
> tutorials/talks/demos alongside the installfest.

That would be good.

As the event is in County Hall, in Butetown, it may be an idea to send a
note to each of the four party spokespeople for e-commerce in the
National Assembly (which is just across the road after all) inviting
them.  Likewise the four party representatives on Cardiff City Council
to invite them to see for themselves Linux working - maybe work in a
short presentation on the advantages of open source and some demos of
the Welsh language localisation that is happening with Linux?

I don't really have any portable equipment to bring, and I am very much
a newbie, but I live 12 minutes slow walk from County Hall, so can be on
hand.