[SWLUG] Newish member

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Wed Jul 16 21:48:45 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 13:58, Steve Jones wrote:
> Hi all i have been a member of this mailing list for some time now but this
> is my first posting.

Sorry for the late reply, just going through my mail backlog :)

> Anyway at the moment i am using windows 2000 and will need to continue using
> it for varios bits of software (accountancy).

You may want to take a look at gnucash, it's supposed to be pretty
decent accountancy software for Linux

> I am going to do a format and reinstall shortly and would be interested to
> know which FIRST version of Linux you all would use, i want a dual boot
> system as well.
> Any advice appreciated.

I'd recommend either Mandrake or Red Hat, both are relatively simple to
install and come with lots of useful applications. I started out with
Red Hat, moved to Mandrake and then ended up staying with Debian but I
wouldn't recommend Debian for a first time install as it's not as
friendly as the others.

Phil