[SWLUG] Mozilla, Editiors, and Printing - Mandrake 9.1

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Mon Jul 21 23:19:09 UTC 2003

Dear All

Printer: Epson C80

I have only two outstanding issues that when resolved will
allow me to start to plan the transition to Linux as my
main system.  The one I would like to discuss is the minor
issue of the two.

I have CUPS installed and it has recognised my printer and
this printer is working from many applications.

Mozilla 1.3, which came with Mandrake 9.1, does not offer
me access to my printers.  File > Print (Ctrl + P) only
offers me a printer caled: "PostScript/default".  As a
consequence pressing "Properties" only allows me to adjust
paper size; chose Grayscale or Color and change Margins.
There is an input box called "Print Command" with text
already in:
     "lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}"
However I cannot alter the print resolution.  No options
exist for this.

Have I done something wrong ?  So far I have flicked through
much KDE docs and browsed the web but to no avail.

I have made another observation about printing as well.
KEdit, Kate, KWrite, KWord all use a very nice printer
interface where I can select CUPS as the printer system.  I
like this interface very much and I can access all printer
options, including the resolution.  However when I use
OpenOffice the printer system is still CUPS but the printer
interface is less user friendly.  Ugly in fact.  I can access
all printer options, including the resolution but I do not like the interface.

Is there any way of getting OpenOffice to use this other
interface ?.

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers