[SWLUG] Samba - Mandrake 9.1

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Mon Jul 28 17:05:59 UTC 2003

Dear All

Thanks for the input

> 2)  Configured the the /etc/smb.conf file as:
>    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
>>This is different to the /etc/samba/smbpasswd you mention
>>below.  You probably need to correct this entry.

Thanks Justin, this is now changed to:
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
as this is where the file is

>smbpasswd -a  stephanos      # To add the user
>smbpasswd stephanos          # To set the password

Yes this worked, it accepted the user stephanos and then the
password.  Now Linux, Windows, and Samba have a user:
stephanos with password: XX

I rebooted both machines.

Network neighbourhood sees SMOOTHWALL but when I click it and
enter the password:  XX it says: "The password is incorrect.
Please try again"

So I tried in the other direction, Linux to PC.
Because /mnt/windows is mounted at start up it is always
occupied with my windows partition, so I made a new directory
(as root) /mnt/win98.
  "[root at smoothwall mnt]# mount //win98pc/myshare /mnt/win98 -t smbfs
  params.c:Parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration
  file: *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
  2453: Connection to win98pc failed
  SMB connection failed"  Wow was that usefull ?

So close, so very close.  But still out of my depth

Any suggestions appreciated.

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers