[SWLUG] Interesting cabling puzzle

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 08:51:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 00:43, Rhys Sage wrote:
> I've run across a real rum one here!
>
> I have a long (15m) cable running from my Linux box to my PC with a
> crossover at the Linux end.
> The crossover is of the female socket with male plug type (RJ45). That works
> fine.
>
> I take the crossover out and put a short (0.5m) cable into the Linux box and
> put a double-socket RJ45 crossover in and nothing happens. The NIC lights
> don't come on. I try a different short cable (1m) and nothing happens. I try
> the f/f crossover at the PC end and still nothing happens. I change the f/f
> crossover and still nothing happens. I even tested the f/f crossover to see
> whether it was a crossover or a straight through connection by putting the
> m/f crossover on it. Still nothing happens.

Umm, pardon? You lost me somewhere in the second paragraph. Can you
provide some ascii diagrams or something to help follow what you're
saying. e.g.

Computer-> straight cable-> crossover box-> straight cable-> computer

or whatever. What exactly are these crossovers you're talking about?
I've only ever used cables that had the crossover built-in so I've not
used what you're talking about - what are they, exactly?

If the lights aren't coming on on the NICs it's a wiring problem
somewhere most likely.

Gareth
--
| Gareth Bowker           | <bowkerg at teccon.co.uk> |