[SWLUG] Very strange!

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Tue Jun 3 21:49:22 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 20:33, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Telsa, I can't think of any better way to distribute my CV to agencies etc
> than by using spamming techniques. I draw the line at agencies. They send me
> their spam so I send them mine. I even put Javascript in occasionally
> although I'm leaning more toward Perl script these days.

Do you also respond to other spam with more spam? It is not considered
very good netiquette to mass mail anything not even to agencies that
send out mass mails themselves.

There is a very well known story about a computer consultant who mass
mails his CV, his reputation is now severly damged, anybody searching
for this persons name (as employers often do) can easily find this
story. The link below gives you the full horrible story altough it does
contain some mildly offensive language so should probably not be viewed
in work/school etc.

http://www.petemoss.com/spamflames/ShifmanIsAMoronSpammer.html

As a side note, all of the job agencies that I send my cv too have a
copy on record, occasionally I get an e-mail asking me if they can mail
my cv off to certain employers. There should be no need to send your cv
out to the same agency constantly it only increases their mail, making
their job harder and whilst I don't have respect for some agencies I
have a very good rapport with certain agencies and I have found that
very useful.

I also find that personal contact with agencies really helps, I always
make the effort to occasionally call in to the agency that got me my
current job and they always let me know if anything interesting appears.

Phil.