[SWLUG] Linux Awareness Day

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Wed Jun 4 21:31:34 UTC 2003

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to raise this topic again because it's starting to draw
close to the dates we've set. Which are the 11th and 12th of July.

For those who don't know about this event, it's a two day event being
held voluntarily by the South Wales Linux Users Group in collaboration
with Cardiff County Council to help raise the awareness level of the
GNU/Linux operating system within South Wales.

First of all is a request for people to confirm what equipment they can
bring along, as most of the responses I've had before haven't been able
to commit to anything because the days were a long time off. So if you
would like to bring along any equipment to demonstrate stuff or to
perhaps get help could you please let me know.

The current expectation is that the Friday will be more of a business
day and the Saturday will be a general public day although no-one will
be turned away at the door, those will just be the sort of people that
we expect to turn up on those days so we might for example demo more
business applications on the Friday and more home entertainment examples
on the Saturday.

What I would like to see there is demonstrations of the following,
Educational Software, Office Software, Gaming, Multimedia if you feel
that you can contribute to a particular area or that I have missed
somthing out then please say so.

There will also hopefully be demonstrations of the Welsh translations of
Gnome that people within the LUG have been working on.

At the moment we are expected to have Internet Access for the entire
event which is being provided by Cardiff County Hall as well as wireless
access which we will be providing ourselves or that may be provided by
Arwain (www.arwain.net) I can't remember what we decided at the last
meeting about that.

We should also have a projector which again will be provided by the
county council that could be used for various uses. One use that we
discused at the last meeting was to use it to constantly display a
documentary about Free Software and GNU/Linux etc but I haven't looked
into this any further yet.

Several people have offered to supply webcams so we should have good
coverage of the event.

Please let me know if you have any ideas/suggestions for this event, I'm
planning to put together a 'press pack' over the next few days.

Phil