[SWLUG] CD Backups

bryn hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 18:30:31 UTC 2003

Jonathan Price wrote:
>>Is there some ready compiled backup program I can put
>>on my Linux box (RH 5.2 aka SME Linux) or does anybody

mkisofs will allow you to create standard iso images from files and
directories on a linux file system. I don't know whether it's been
packaged for 5.2 but check on rpm sites. Redhat 7.2 comes with 1.10-4.
You could try getting cdrecord on there but as you can't compile it
may be tricky - you'll need scsi emulation in the kernel to use an ide
cd burner.

> IMO there isn't a better windows program than nero for that under windows. It
> is unclear from your post, but have you tried using Windows' map network
> drive feature to give a remote share a drive letter?

iirc he's refering to nero not liking burning from a network drive -
it used to be a good way to underrun the buffer, although a good
network can handle it now.

>>know of a better Windows program than Nero?

I think the normal way to solve this is to use nero's imaging creation
feature to make an iso image from the share then burn the disc from
the local hard drive. It's been a while since I've used it so I'm not
sure of the specifics but I'm pretty sure that's how you do it.

Just checked - hit file --> new in nero and choose iso image as the
type of disc to create, fill it with files from the share and then use
file --> burn image to put it on a disc.

hope that helps

Bryn