[SWLUG] Awk is driving me MAD!

Gareth James Powell gareth-j.powell at st.com
Wed Jun 11 11:04:42 UTC 2003

Hi!

justin at discordia.org.uk wrote:

[snip]
> If the [*nix] native version doesnt work, grab the source to the gnu
> version and recompile it on for your system, as like many of these

 Not if I want to keep my job!!!! I.T. would not view it as a good
idea, I can understand that as my machine is not in the playpen but
does 'stuff'.

> things linux just ships with the generic gnu versions, theyre not linux
> specific.

[snip]

 I would like to feel that the GNU organization would never give into
external pressure e.g. Linux development or embedded companies, to
bend its products to favour one platform. We all know where that
leads.

> Thats a shell escaping issue, the ! should have been ignored by the
> shell because it was inside quotes, but its obviously slightly borked,
> so try adding a backslash infront of it to escape it.
[snip]

Yep,

   awk '\!/^#/{printf("%s IN A %s\n", $2, $1);}' /etc/hosts

 works ok, Ta!

I'm off to lunch (out to?) now, see y'all.

Regards,
Gareth.

--

"No matter how it looks at first, it's always a people problem." --
Gerald Weinberg, The Secrets of Consulting

NB: The *OTHER* Gareth Powell can be contacted at 041 4532
(gareth.powell at st.com)

 Gareth James Powell
 Software Applications Engineer

 STB Division

 STMicroelectronics (R&D) Limited |                    TINA: 065 2587
 1000 Aztec West                  |  direct dial: +44 (0)1454 462 587
 Almondsbury                      |  switchboard: +44 (0)1454 616 616
 BRISTOL                          |          Fax: +44 (0)1454 617 910
 BS32 4SQ                         | email: gareth-j.powell at st.com