[SWLUG] Keyboard failure Mandraked 8.2

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Sun Mar 9 01:51:52 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 15:32, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> I have recently developed a fault with the keyboard of my laptop (AJP).  After a little use the keyboard fails and  cannot input with it.  If I only log out of KDE (2.2.2) and return the problem remains.  I have to reboot.

Does it still stop working if you don't start X/KDE at all? Something
like adding a '3' to the LILO or GRUB boot command line will probably
manage this.

As far as I recall, X and "the console" have different keyboard drivers,
as agreed in the historic 1993 "How best to confuse users" summit.

Thus to figure out whether it's "just X", or "Linux", or indeed "Your
keyboard" can take a bit of figuring out.

(My colleague here suggests trying typing for a while on the LILO or
GRUB prompt, or indeed somewhere in BIOS, just to see what happens,
which also seems reasonable. He also asked whether this had anything to
do with a "Coke incompatibility event".)

Dave.