[SWLUG] Sharing e-mail between users

'o-Dzin Tridral gbve6hk02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Mar 13 18:03:17 UTC 2003

I am new to this list and fairly new to Linux so I hope this message is appropriate.

We've been experimenting with Linux (Mandrake 8.1) with a view to moving from Windows as far as possible.  Where I'd like some help, if possible is in setting up e-mail.

Up until now my wife and I have been using Windows. It has not mattered whose desktop we happen to have been on when e-mail is received it goes into a folder that we can both read / write / delete from and that works fine. With Mandrake, i've set up separate accounts for us, but I'd like e-mail to go to a common area that we can both read / write / delete from. Is this possible - in a simple way, using permissions, perhaps?

I've tried to set up a shared area e.g. /home/family, made it a group and attempted to set permissions so that group members could all read, write, delete from the area.  I've not been entirely successful in this, and I've not yet found a mail client that I could successfully point to this shared area with any degree of confidence that when e-mail arrived it would be visible to all group members.

If I could find a solution to this we'd spend more time on Linux and less on Windows.  I'd appreciate any help.

While I'm asking, perhaps someone could recommend an e-mail client. On Windows we use Netscape, but we're not wedded to it.

Many thanks for any help,

'o-Dzin