[SWLUG] Sharing e-mail between users

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Mar 14 11:40:17 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 01:03:17PM -0500 or thereabouts, 'o-Dzin Tridral wrote:

> Up until now my wife and I have been using Windows. It has not
> mattered whose desktop we happen to have been on when e-mail is
> received it goes into a folder that we can both read / write /
> delete from and that works fine. With Mandrake, i've set up
> separate accounts for us, but I'd like e-mail to go to a common
> area that we can both read / write / delete from. Is this possible
> - in a simple way, using permissions, perhaps?

You could make a third account. And you could have email for
either of your accounts be redirected to this third account
by putting .forward files in each of your home directories
which just have the name of the account to forward to.

Then you can each log in as this mail-using account as you
need or want to. You wouldn't actually need to quit X and
restart it to do this: there are ways to run programs as
another user whilst still in your normal setup. If you
are interested in this idea, say. I or someone else can
explain more then.

I think this sounds the easiest way.

> While I'm asking, perhaps someone could recommend an e-mail
> client. On Windows we use Netscape, but we're not wedded to it.

I think the list goes, roughly:

Mozilla is like Netscape.
Evolution is like Outlook.
Balsa is like Eudora. I think. Or perhaps Sylpheed is like Eudora.
(There's another one here I forget).

And mutt, pine and other text-based mailers are like nothing
on Windows :)

Telsa