[SWLUG] Hosting?

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 09:05:21 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 22:44, Than wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I've just bought a domain and i'm wondering if is possible to to my own
> hosting on the Linux PC.

Yes, it is. However, there are so many different ways of simply hosting
a domain that I can't really suggest much else until you give a clearer
idea of what it is you want to do. For example, where are you thinking
of hosting it? Home? At an ISP? Are you wanting to host your own DNS
records? Your own mail server? Web server? How much do you know about
firewalls? If you're hosting it at home, does your ISP have any rules
about what you can and can't host? If you're not sure what it is you
want to do, you're probably better off hosting your domain with an ISP
and have them deal with everything - by all means get a linux box of
your own set up doing whatever you want it to do and when you're
confident that it's all set up correctly, move things over, one at a
time, to your linux machine.

Basically, if you can be a bit more specific about what it is you want
to do, our answers will be that much more specific too ;)

Gareth