[SWLUG] Hosting?

justin at discordia.org.uk justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Mar 17 09:09:39 UTC 2003

On 16 Mar, Than wrote:
> I've just bought a domain and i'm wondering if is possible to to my own
> hosting on the Linux PC.

Hosting things on a Linux machine is pretty easy, most distributions
come with apache (the webserver) and named (DNS server) and other tools
already installed and setup.

The HARD part, is having your linux machine on a permamant connection to
the internet, and on a fixed (or at least mostly static) IP address so
that it can be found.

If you have a business style ADSL or Cablemodem, where they give you a
static IP address then no real problem, although it may go against the
terms and conditions.
If you have a normal consumer CableModem or ADSL, then dont expect any
kind of guarantees that your website will be visible to the world, it
will almost certainly be against the terms and conditions of use, and
youll need to find someone to look after your domain name that can do
Dynamic DNS for you, so that it readjusts when your IP address changes.

Enough of the speculating.

Explain your situation in a LOT more detail, and youll get some more
specific answers from people :)