[SWLUG] Re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #248 - 4 msgs

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu May 1 08:05:33 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 00:03, Rhys Sage wrote:
> The cable out the back is attached to a 25pin socket on the modem and
> gives forth to 25 pin and 9 pin female connectors. I can fit the 9 pin
> into a male socket on the back of my laptop.
Its known in the trade as a 'serial port'

> I know it's intended for use with Linux on my other machine but I need
> to test it under NT first. The only question - how on earth do I set
> it up and use it? I have just TCP/IP in the protocols.

And i thought windows was supposed to be _so_ intuitive to use...  ;)

Control Panel  ->  Modems

Then follow the blurb as it probes all your serial ports to try and find
the modem.

When done just use dialup networking as usual.

Many modern laptops dont even have a serial port any more, theyre trying
to head that way on standard motherboards too.