[SWLUG] selecting a DNS domain

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Fri May 2 15:33:50 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 10:13:48AM +0100, Tim Bonnell wrote:
> I've wanted to set up a DNS name server on my server at home for a while
> now. I've even read the HOWTOs and tested it (sucessfully!). However I
> always bottle out on the issue of a specifying a domain name.
>
> I know I need to use a domain that WONT conflict with the outside world, but
> everything I come up with a) looks unbelievable (e.g. home.bogus) or b) is
> excessively long (e.g. server1.internal.mydomain.co.uk)
>
> What do other people use?
>
> Regards,	Tim

Appearing bogus is no problem provided any MTA you run sends out
messages with return addresses that are valid. I believe exim has an
/etc/email-addresses to limit the from addresses that mail on your
system has, so this is easy to fix (it's a little harder with postfix,
does anyone have any bright ideas?).

On my home LAN I use .mcnet and have the luxury of a domain from Demon
to use as my outgoing mailname, so I've had no problems using that. I
doubt it will ever appear as a TLD either. :D

Regards,
Rob