[SWLUG] Installing RH via NFS

Gareth James Powell gareth-j.powell at st.com
Fri May 16 12:32:08 UTC 2003

 Hiya all,
         This is my first post to this list (and you guessed it!) its about a problem, or
rather a log of my lack of progress to date. :(

 I am trying to install RedHat 5.0 on my ageing Toshiba Libretto 50 (with its strange
PCMCIA floppy drive) via an NFS mount using a plip connection from my main box that runs
SuSe 8.0.

 Ok, so I go through configuring plip (which can't seem to get irq7 - 'modprobe plip
irq=7'?) and nfsserver and get get the Tosh to mount the right directory but it fails
getfh with permission denied (/var/log/messages) Grrr!! Seems after Google-ing that this
is a 2.4 kernel nfsd Vs. the rest of the world problem, so I am going to give it one more
go with a user mode nfsd and then give up and FTP it, once I get wu-ftpd as SuSe 8.0
Personal does not seem (I can't seem find one) a ftpd.

 Oh well, back to it I suppose. Happy Friday everyone!

Regards,
Gareth.

PS: I *could* install RH5.0 on my main box...Hmm....

--

 Gareth James Powell
 Software Applications Engineer

 STB Division                     |
 STMicroelectronics (R&D) Limited |                    TINA: 065 2587
 1000 Aztec West                  |  direct dial: +44 (0)1454 462 587
 Almondsbury                      |  switchboard: +44 (0)1454 616 616
 BRISTOL                          |          Fax: +44 (0)1454 617 910
 BS32 4SQ                         | email: gareth-j.powell at st.com