[SWLUG] Installing RH via NFS

Gareth James Powell gareth-j.powell at st.com
Thu May 22 07:53:36 UTC 2003

Hi,
  Thanks for looking around for me, I just chose RH5.0 as I found someone  who did an
install floppy set for this version of Linux that had the YE-DATA floppy driver module
which was nice as I had an old RH5.0 cdrom (coverdisk) gathering dust in my collection of
junk. The sad news is that I think I may have blown up one of the computers parports; plip
no longer works at all! Stupid of me to boot into W2K with the cable connected, I think
this configured the data bits as an o/p to my printer while the Tosh was doing the same
with a nibble (so I can guess the range of the damage), I will look on the net sometime to
find some freeware parport tester software (I used a commercial PC testing kit a while
back which used a loopback plug) In the meantime I have ordered a 40 pin to 44 pin
connector (five quid from Maplin) so I can plug the Tosh drive into my old 486 (Suse6.4
box) and do the install that way, then nfs mount the box to setup xfree properly etc. as I
have a Psion PCMCIA network+comms card - not supported by the installer, although I could
mount the initrd.img (loopback) and try fiddling around, does not appeal to me though.
 If this hdd link works (I think the Tosh hdd is compatible?) maybe I should take the
advice to install a later OS as suggested (Debian) Is there a reson to prefer Debs on such
a crufy old laptop say Vs. another newer Linux?

Regards,
Gareth.

 "Today I will be mostly doing front end transport stream demux drivers"