[SWLUG] Linux newbie, again!

Chris M. Jackson C.M.Jackson at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Thu May 22 11:38:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Chris Morgan wrote:

> Used to play with Linux years ago on a brand new Pentium75 machine but
> haven't touched it for years...

P75?  That sounds painful ;)
(Now, where did I put that 486SX?)

> What would be good modern Distribution? (I was looking at Mandrake 9)

Mandrake 9 is OK for people who've never used Linux before, or who need
some "catching up".  SuSE is OK, but I've found some problems when
updating stuff (GNOME 2.0 on SuSE 8.0 was a rather painful experience).
Debian "stable" is as it says on the tin, albeit with slightly aged
software, and an incredibly long-winded setup process.  The "unstable"
model tends to be defined as "stuff we haven't put through our testing
process yet, which might actually be stable anyway", so it's worth
checking out.

I personally downloaded some does from linuxfromscratch.org, and now have
two wonderfully streamlined Linux installations.  Now, to find a month
spare to compile X ... :P

> Where can I get a copy? I live in Roath, Cardiff, just off City Road and
> as a student have no transport.

If I've got it, then me.  If you're in the Department right now, I'm
probably in the next room (Lab 2) :)

Whatever you choose, happy installing, and welcome to the LUG :)