[SWLUG] No compiler on SME

Stuart Herbert stuart at myrddraal.demon.co.uk
Tue May 27 21:40:56 UTC 2003

Rhys,

First rule of using Linux.  Read the f**king manual ;-)

If you read the FAQ on http://www.e-smith.org/, you'll learn that SME Linux
doesn't come with a C or C++ compiler.  I quote:

"The SME Server is not a general purpose Linux operating system - it's a
specialized distribution designed to act as a workgroup server and internet
gateway. We do not provide compiler tools, including "make" as they are not
required for the operation of the system and should not be installed on
production gateways in order to preserve the integrity and security of the
system."

"A system running RedHat linux (or compatible) should be used for preparing
any software for installation onto the server. Preferably the RPM binary
format should be used to package the software and install it on the server.
Please see Questions 5 and 6 for more details."

"Please note that you can still develop RPMS on your SME Server without
these tools."

So there you go.  Either get rid of SME Server (not a bad idea anyways, me
thinks), or build your MUD on RedHat first.  From the information on the
website, my guess is that you must use RedHat 7.3 to build your RPMs (urgh)
- binaries from RedHat 8 or 9 probably won't run on SME Linux.

Best regards,
Stu
--
PS: If you want to see whether a C compiler is installed on a UNIX box, one
test that's always worked for me is to look for the file /lib/cpp.  If