[SWLUG] dead keyboard controller - ideas?

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 19:34:50 UTC 2003

Hi all,
I've a machine here which seems to be slowly dying a death.. it's next on the
list to be replaced, but for now cash isn't permitting :)

The current problem is that the keyboard controller seems to have died, I've
tried two known working k/bs but, although the lights flash at boot time I'm
unable to type anything.

This was OK for a while - the machine booted and I only needed to be able to
ssh into it, but now it's had a BIOS checksum fail & I need to hit DEL to get
into the setup! argh!

Anyone with a better knowledge of PC hardware than me got any ideas? I thought
of trying a USB k/b, but I don't have one & I'd guess it defaults to disabled
in the BIOS??

The board's a SuperMicro 370DDE with a VIA VT8633/VT8233 dual PIII chipset.

Cheers

Bryn