[SWLUG] Problems

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 09:34:35 UTC 2003

Actually, the shop put the chip onto the board. It
comes up, identified by name as an AMD 1500+ on about
the 5th line of the display when I switch on. I'd
imagine that the chip works at 100 FSB anyway. I only
have two settings on this board: 133 and 100 as
hardware settings then 100 - 255 by bios. I've seen
the AMD 2200 described at 266 but I can't find out
much more information. As the chip is now covered by a
heatsink, it's hard to find out more.

> If you get the FSB setting on the motherboard wrong,
> everything
> (including the bios) will report the wrong speed of
> CPU. So your proof
> is bogus.
>
> You have to read the small print on the chip itself
> to know what speed
> it really is. There are clear instructions on the
> AMD website of how to
> interpret the numbers you see there.

Finally... a warning to anybody considering trying to
use XP Pro - don't and don't ever buy it. It simply
does not work. It took 15 installations to get it to
work and then it fell over and wouldn't let me in to
fix it.

I've had boot-crash-boot cycles from it where it goes
immediately from booting to crashing to booting
without displaying any of the recovery options.

Under NTFS it seems to lose essential file fragments
far more easily than under FAT 32. Under FAT 32 it
lost the licensing information and refused to let me
in - after having worked for 8 hours. It was working
when I went to bed. In the morning it was as dead as a
dodo.

If Microsoft is supposed to be so good, how come
Mandrake 9.1 installed faster and hasn't fallen over
or had any problems? My biggest gripe with Mandrake so
far is that I can't play Yahoo games - silly I know
but I used to enjoy a game of pool in my idle moments.

Rhys