[SWLUG] Network Question

Davage, Marcus Marcus.Davage at LloydsTSB.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 10:37:22 UTC 2003

Hi,

A friend of mine has been given six brand spanking (will spam filters reject
that word?) new PCs with Windows XP (I know, I know) on 'em, and full
ethernet & wireless networking, for him to set up a volunteer-led
after-school homework club in a local community centre in Cardiff. What he
wanted to do was to use one of them as a file/print server and firewall and
use the other five as workstation clients. The copy of XP he has will not
allow him to set one up as a server, so I suggested dual-booting the one as
a Linux server, and getting the others to access that instead. Normal
client/server functionality would apply - user details held on server,
profile and personal files copied to client when logging on, copied back
when logging off.

Has anyone
(a) done this before,
(b) got any advice/tips/howtos/gotchas,
(c) got any free time for consultancy,
(d) know anyone with free time for consultancy?

My experience of Linux is as a home workstation only, and I've never set up
a network before, so I can't help him very much (although I'm a quick
learner).

Thanks,

Marcus

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee.  It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it.  If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

evolvebank.com is a division of Lloyds TSB Bank plc.
Lloyds TSB Bank plc, 25 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7HN.  Registered in
England, number 2065.  Telephone No: 020 7626 1500
Lloyds TSB Scotland plc, Henry Duncan House, 120 George Street,
Edinburgh EH2 4LH.  Registered in Scotland, number 95237.  Telephone
No: 0131 225 4555

Lloyds TSB Bank plc and Lloyds TSB Scotland plc are authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority and represent only the
Scottish Widows and Lloyds TSB Marketing Group for life assurance,
pensions and investment business.

Signatories to the Banking Codes.