[SWLUG] That laptop

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Nov 21 12:06:10 UTC 2003

(Changed subject, sorry, I can't bear "Re: digest" subject lines)

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:14:34PM +0000 or thereabouts, Rhys Sage wrote:
> ...I've decided to sell my laptop. Anyway,
> it's £200 and comes with a PCMCIA Ethernet combo card.
> There's nothing wrong with it. I find I'm not using it
> and I do really need both the money and the space it
> takes up.
>
> Anyway, if anybody's interested in the laptop, it's an
> IBM 760EL. The memory has been expanded. The charger

To how much? From how much?

> is brand new. It comes with a carrying case and a
> genuine IBM manual. Currently it's running Windows NT4
> Sp6a. I gather Linux drivers are available for it.
> It's currently fitted with a 3.5" drive. It's possible
> to whip the drive out and put a CD in - I've seen them
> on ebay but never seen the need as the ethernet
> connection is easier.

If you have been browsing Ebay, you must surely know that
this price is a little high. Here is the same model as yours.
(Pentium-133, 32Mb RAM, 2Gb hard drive, yes?) It is going for
less than $20.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3442336955&category=42203

Ebay.co.uk is currently offering me the following auctions for
under 200 pounds:

IBM T21/P3 800/384MB/20G/DVD/LAN/DOCK+6M WNTY
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3441179634&category=3715
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3440886273&category=3715

IBM X20/P3 600/320MB/20G/DVD/FDD/DOCK+5M WNTY
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3441168193&category=3715

I think you are being extremely optimistic in what you can
get for that laptop. Particularly when you haven't actually
mentioned what specs it has beyond "added RAM" nor the state
of the screen: are pixels gone, for example?

Telsa